Monday, February 4, 2008

iHeart Apple

Have I mentioned lately how much I love Apple? I truly do. It's an amazing company with compelling products. But maybe the best part of the whole Apple experience is their support. They really back up what they sell. This is probably why they command such incredible loyalty among Geeks like me.

My Macbook, which I carry for work, was having a problem with the case cracking near the wrist-rest area. It's a known defect. I made an appointment with the Genius Bar in the Jacksonville Apple Store for this morning. I'm there, talking to the dude, just shooting the shit. The part's in stock, they're fixing it now under warranty. I'll have it back tonight or tomorrow at the latest.

In the midst of chatting with the Apple Genius (a fellow Geek, obviously), the subject of iPhones came up. He wanted to know how I liked mine. I told him that it's an amazing device, the kind of thing you can't imagine never owning once you've actually owned one. It's like my TV, my computer, my car, my dog, anything that I love and interact with daily. Anyway, I'm telling him that I've dropped it, slid it across pavement, abused it and it still works like a champ. It has dings, scratches; it's clearly been through the hell that is sometimes my life, but it works flawlessly. Except...

Except over the past month or so, I've noticed a small area of the screen that seems a degree or two brighter than the rest of the display. It doesn't bother me; after what I put the phone through, I'm amazed it powers on and makes phone calls.

He asks me if he can take a look at it. He does. He makes a little noise. He asks if I've backed my iPhone up to iTunes lately. Of coure I have. The next thing he's doing -- I swear to Jobs -- he's taking out my SIM card and placing it into a brand-fucking-new iPhone. Just like that. With no complaint and no cost, I have a brand new iPhone. How wonderful!

So, I know it's early yet for sweet Valentine's lovieness. But, Apple, Inc., iHeart you. iHeart you very much. Today you've made me the happiest Geek on the planet. And I don't care who knows it.

No comments: