Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Jabour Makes It Official

Jay Jabour has decided to give up his legal battle and this evening acknowledged his removal from the Jacksonville City Council. Our laws are serious business and should be followed, especially those which govern the election of our representatives.

Voters in Jacksonville should always be represented by people of strong morals and high ethics who follow the rules. While I was personally outraged by Mr. Jabour's tactics in seeking office, I have to credit him with a graceful statement upon his removal. The citizens of Jacksonville, though, deserved better. His votes to raise our taxes and break the covenant with the people of Arlington will be the low-points. They will also be his legacy on the Council.

Jabour had no choice but to acknowledge the Court's order removing him from office. There was no further appeal route available to him.

4 comments:

Brian, Jen and Audrey said...

. I've met the guy and he was very personable, but there is no way he didn't know what he was doing. He lost his race in his REAL district and basically carpetbagged himself over to "at large 2." I read his statement. No bitterness there. Let's hope Clay gets the political will to kick out the airport vote. They tried this "hey it's unsafe" schtick in panama city fl to get their new airport.

J. Thornton Roess said...

This still smells like some "it's only illegal if you get caught" kind of scenario, but I'm thrilled that someone FINALLY GOT CAUGHT. I agree with Hemming Plaza that Jabour knew what he was doing, crossed fingers, and hoped that no one would bother looking past the smoke. Credit to Harms for calling time out in an otherwise abusive good ole boy game. We need more of these "victories," although there's hardly a winner when the whole of Jacksonville fell victim to this continued charade that is our city government. It would be nothing less than a Kafkan moment had Jabour maintained the illusion of his post and continued to subject us to this "Castle-esque" dominance.

Unknown said...

I got to know Jay thru the campaign. He was definitely a politician. He was always cordial and friendly and had that "Bob Roberts" smile. Like, you could see his eyes saying the opposite of what his mouth said.
He would tell this joke (you remember Jimmy) about being a "small business man" where he pointed out how "not small" he was.
Sort of a moral in there. A seemingly "small" thing like where you actually reside, is only small to you, Mr. Jabour, but I like to have my Councilperson nearby, oh, and honest.
Anywhoo...we gotta check and see all the bills he voted on, see how many were decided by his vote.
That could be fun....

Jimmy Midyette said...

I do remember all of those "small businessman" jokes. I think I laughed at them the first ten times, or so.

I have my doubts about reserving his votes on those controversial bills (tax hike, craig field), but what the hell? I think someone should try!!